AppScale, a GigaOm Structure LaunchPad Finalist, Introduces Automated Failover and Migration for Applications and Data Across Cloud Infrastructures
June 20, 2013
Initial Product Focus Is on Google App Engine
SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwired - Jun 20, 2013) - GIGAOM STRUCTURE - AppScale Systems, Inc., makers of the AppScale Cloud Platform, an open source runtime system for web applications and mobile application backends, today launched the company and introduced its first commercial product, ScaleSafe, at GigaOm Structure in San Francisco. AppScale is a GigOm Structure "LaunchPad" finalist and will be presented to conference attendees by CEO Woody Rollins today at 11:05 am.
AppScale's mission is to automate failover and migration of cloud applications and data, for popular public cloud platforms and services, to and from multiple deployment targets, as adoption and market share demand. ScaleSafe, AppScale's first commercial product provides high availability and portability for applications and data that employ Google App Engine services for their implementations. Google App Engine is a public cloud platform-as-a-service (PaaS) that simplifies writing, deploying, and scaling applications and mobile app backends, so that developers can focus on innovation instead of on the underlying systems and services.
"We are thrilled to introduce AppScale to the world today at GigaOm Structure and we are honored to be a LaunchPad finalist," said Woody Rollins, AppScale co-founder and CEO. "In the past year, we've interviewed hundreds of SMB and enterprise developers and CIOs about their experiences with public cloud platforms. They told us that they love the automation PaaS brings but hate the inability to control their own destiny, i.e. to future-proof their apps. These customers want to be able to move their apps across clouds without rewriting code, to mix and match competitive public cloud alternatives, and to leverage on-premise datasets and software investments. AppScale facilitates such portability and automates the failover and migration of apps and data."
Highlights of the AppScale Cloud Platform
- AppScale plugs in multiple alternatives of each of the services that apps need to give developers choice in implementing their apps
- Services include: NoSQL storage, SQL storage, object/blog storage, data caching, authentication, full text search, background multitasking, MapReduce, and more
- Easy hybrid cloud use: use services from different public clouds from the same app, swap them out for open source, on-premise implementations or other public cloud alternatives
- API-compatible with public cloud de facto standards
- Currently supports the services of the Google Cloud Platform
- Automatically configures, deploys, and scales apps along with their service ecosystems
- Executes everywhere: on-premise, over any public/private cloud infrastructure, so that your apps can too, without modification
- Amazon EC2, Google Compute Engine, Rackspace, Eucalyptus, OpenStack, and others
- Software plug-ins that enterprises require
- ScaleSafe: Automated failover and migration of Google App Engine apps and their data
"AppScale harnesses the exploding trend of developer APIs and managed plug and play services," said Chandra Krintz, AppScale co-founder and CTO. "As a result, it facilitates a significantly simpler deployment model than those offered by other approaches to PaaS, which require developers to learn and manually stitch together -- and scale -- stacks of software to implement their apps. Our focus on services enables us to offer products that the enterprise demands like automated failover, migration and disaster recovery across clouds. It also enables us to provide developers with a sweet spot between 'NoOps' convenience and 'DevOps' flexibility and control."
Pricing and Availability
The AppScale Cloud Platform is open source and free to use. AppScale sells software products that plug into the AppScale Cloud Platform. AppScale's first product, ScaleSafe, is available for download today. ScaleSafe pricing is a small percentage of customers' monthly Google App Engine bill. AppScale also provides training in Google App Engine and AppScale app development and deployment as well as tiered technical support and world-class professional services.